Friday, September 11, 2015

The School Years Memory Keeper Is A Great Way To Chronicle!

   

Growing up, my mother kept a school journal for us kids documenting each grade from elementary school through high school. The journal included our report cards, some artwork, as well as data on what we wanted to be when we grew up, who our teacher was, etc.

I've always wanted to do the same for my children. While it's been on my mind for the last few years, it seems that life just gets away from you. Instead of making it a priority to find a suitable book, I've been stuffing my oldest son's school work and report cards in a cupboard. Shameful, I know! :)  With back to school season upon us, organizing & chronicling all this stuff now and in the future has since re-entered my mind. 

While searching online, there were a few options, most with a lot of limitations. I came across the School Years Memory Keeper by Publications International, and found it to be the best option suited for my needs. First off, it is unisex & includes pages for Preschool, all the way to Grade 12. It is about the size of a 12x12 scrapbook, and will allow you to comfortably put 8x10 sized school photos, school work and awards into the pockets without having to bend them. You can easily put in a bit larger sized projects as well, but you'd have to bend and fold them to fit the pockets.  On the front cover, you can include one wallet sized image of their school pictures for each grade, making it easy to see right from the cover whose book it is. Not to mention that it's wonderful to easily look back and reminisce about how they've changed as they've grown. 

The School Years Memory Keeper is hardcover, and has 24 storage pocket pages constructed of sturdy thin cardboard type material.  There is lots of space to store precious artwork not only inside the many pockets, but also directly onto some of the pages. There are also some designated sections where the kids could draw something directly in the book each year, which would be comical to look back on. Just remember to get the younger ones to tell you what their drawing is so that you can document it, and look back knowing what the picture actually is! 

Throughout the book there are also special areas for each grade to document their growth, personal interests, friends, teacher information, feelings, school pictures and much more. For the older grades, there are also sections to document favorite bands, music, websites, blogs and a special page for Grade 12 which includes goals and things to remember about high school. 

Kids grow up so fast, and time flies by. Before you find yourself digging out of years of artwork, report cards, awards or other academic keepsakes, stay on the ball and start organizing it now! It's a wonderful memento for both you and your child and will be appreciated for years to come. I still look at mine and cherish the memories and the time and energy my mother put into making these for us. 

The only thing I wish it had was a section for each grade where the child can indicate what he or she would like to be when they grow up. It's funny to look back and see what I wanted to be over the years and what I've chosen to do professionally. I've easily solved this minor inconvenience by writing it myself directly onto the page. 

The School Years Memory Keeper retails for approximately $30, and can be found on Amazon and at various big box and mom & pop shops throughout Canada and the U.S. There seems to be a few different designs available on the market for this album, but this one in particular is my favorite as it can be used for either gender and is a bit more stylish in design. It's also a thoughtful gift idea and I got one for each of my kids. 

I'm proud to say that the organization has begun and I now have an empty cupboard! :)

***** These views are mine, and mine alone. As with anything, you are responsible for assessing whether this item and/or activity is safe and suitable for your specific needs. InfoMommy does not make any warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, and assumes no responsibility and/or liability for any actions taken as a result of this blog post.*****

No comments:

Post a Comment