Thursday, October 23, 2014

What We, As Mothers & Fathers, Can Do In The Wake Of The Events In Ottawa & Montreal

   

With the events that took place yesterday in Ottawa, and earlier in the week in Montreal, I can't help but feel concerned for the wellbeing of my my family, my children and my country. I am certain that many mothers and fathers out there are thinking of this today as they try and figure out a way to face this new concern here in Canada. My heart goes out to the parents and the son of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo! I can't even fathom what they might be going through right now. May he rest in peace, knowing that he was a hero in life, and not in death.

What do we say to our children when they ask us questions about what they've heard on TV or from their peers? What do we say to ourselves? How do we reassure our loved ones? Global News posted a helpful article yesterday on how to talk to our children about the events yesterday in Ottawa. Thankfully my sons are both young enough not to be aware (so far!) of these tragedies and the rising fears and anxieties that can proliferate in both kids and adults. For many of you, this is not the case. I urge you to consider not watching the news and non-strop streaming of coverage of events like these in their presence, unless they are old enough to fully understand and discuss their concerns and fears with you. It's hard to rationalize the irrational even in the best of situations. You know your child best, can they handle this information? Are they already an anxious child?

There have been warnings, there have been threats and there have been admissions by the RCMP that chatter is increasing regarding the safety of Canada and Canadians. So much so, that they have elevated our country's threat level from Low to Medium. While we have been fortunate enough to date not to have faced an attack comparable to 9-11 here on Canadian soil, I can't help but wonder if that will take place. If the world will change where my sons will choose or be forced to put themselves in the line of fire either on their home soil or abroad, to defend our rights, beliefs and our way of life. If I had daughters, I would be wondering the same thing about them. I feel for parents here & abroad whose children are fighting in wars, regardless of whose side they are on.

With a cousin who is currently in the military, who could very well be deployed to parts of the world where some of these extremist ideologies are festering, it hits close to home. If military personnel (or civilians for that matter) have been targeted on our home soil, then the risk is not only when they are deployed, but here in Canada as well.

I've felt a range of emotions this week, particularly yesterday with the events in Ottawa, and now today with the possible armed man arrested in Halifax today. I've felt fear, I've felt anger, and I've felt a call to action. To do what? I'm not exactly sure. But I can fully appreciate how those men and women signed up for the U.S. military in droves after the terror attacks on September 11th, 2001.

To the Sergeant-At-Arms Kevin Vickers, to our military personnel both on home turf and abroad, to our police, fire, EMS and security forces who walk in when others are running out, I say thank you! Thank you for protecting us, our freedoms and our liberties! If I have forgotten someone, please, know that you are thanked too!

While I am not a Sergeant-At-Arms, a member of the military, or a police officer, there is still something that I as a mother, as an average civilian and member of this great nation can do! And so can you! Be vigilant, keep your eyes and ears open, and trust your gut.

If you see something suspicious, something that seems legitimately concerning to the best of your knowledge, report it! There's no harm in reporting it, but there is harm in not reporting it! Run it by a police officer to see what they think. If you aren't comfortable providing your personal information, report it anonymously. Like Gavin Becker taught us in his book The Gift of Fear, trust your instincts and your intuition.

While we might feel helpless during times like these, there is something that we as mothers and fathers can do! We can all be "heroes" here in our own country and it doesn't have to be in death! I use that term not to make light of real heroes, but to empower each and every one of us to pay attention. Let's unite and protect this wonderful country we call home! Each one of us mothers, fathers, and civilians can do our part to help make sure that this country we call home stays as safe and peaceful as we can!

***** These views are mine, and mine alone. As with anything, you are responsible for assessing whether this item and/or activity is safe and suitable for your specific needs. InfoMommy does not make any warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, and assumes no responsibility and/or liability for any actions taken as a result of this blog post.*****

No comments:

Post a Comment