Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Wahl Home Barber Kit is Clipperiffic!‏


   

I'm always looking for ways to save money, and haircuts are one of them. Many people are not confident cutting their own child's hair. I was the same way, until I tried cutting my oldest son's hair with clippers out of necessity. He had to have stitches in his scalp as a preschooler, and had become scared of haircuts, no matter if the barber used scissors or clippers. So eventually I figured I would start doing it myself. At least that way I wouldn't have to pay $10-$20 for a haircut that had him fighting and screaming, and having everyone in the building staring at us while doing so! 

So the 1st time we tried it at home, I had gone out and purchased a relatively cheap clipper set. I also bought a dollar store stuffed giraffe that had fine longer hair on it and presented it to him in advance. I told him that he could "cut" some of the hair off the stuffed animal with the clippers every time we completed a haircut.  (Now I'm sure that that manufacturer probably just choked on their coffee, thinking that that's not good for the clipper blades, which would be right, but I had to do what I had to do at the time to help him get over his fears!) That did help to alleviate his anxiety about getting his hair cut and was a good motivator for him. 

The first few times I stuck to a regular buzz cut because I was scared to try anything else. But eventually I became more confident in using the clippers and started to experiment with the different sized guide combs. I got pretty good at creating a haircut with the different guides, and I was glad to be pocketing money instead of spending it at the barber. Eventually, even my husband trusted me enough to have me cut his hair too! 

I liked my old set of clippers but they were getting dull after about 3 years' use. So when I started looking around for a new set, I discovered the Wahl Signature Series Home Barber KitWhat caught my eye specifically about this product was the cordless touch-up trimmer. Most clipper sets come with the clippers and the smaller trimmer, but the Wahl Signature Series Home Barber Kit was the only one that I had come across in Walmart or other department stores that also included a mini trimmer in addition to the smaller trimmer.  I found the typical small clippers that come with most sets to be helpful for trimming and shaping around the collar area, but not so good for around the ears. Especially when it's a child's head you are working on. The mini-trimmer was something I had always wanted but had not been included in my original clipper set bought a few years back. It's essential for trimming around little ones' ears.

The Home Barber Kit contains a multi-cut clipper, a personal trimmer with a detail head and reciprocating head, a cordless touch-up trimmer and a soft storage case.  You also get 2 hair clips, barber & styling combs, a small mirror, a small spray bottle, a small cleaning brush, oil for the clipper blades, scissors, a cape, and instructions. There are also 12 guide combs. You will find sizes 1 through 8, along with the standard left ear and right ear tapers, an eyebrow trimmer comb and an ear trimmer comb. (Note: both small trimmers require AA batteries.) 

Once out of the package, you have to oil the blades on the clippers before their first use and after every couple of cuts. I set to start cutting my youngest one's hair and was impressed with how smooth it cut. Maybe I was used to cutting with an older set of clippers that had trimmed a stuffed giraffe's long hair a time or two, LOL, but I was happy with how smooth it cut. I then moved on to my oldest and then to my husband. I cut 3 heads of hair, one right after the other, and it worked great on all three types of hair.

This Home Barber Kit is sold exclusively at Walmart Canada and retails for $39.96. You can find a variety of other Wahl brand clipper styles and sets at stores like Canadian Tire, Sears, Personal Edge, Target Canada, London Drugs, etc... but I personally love this particular set! You cannot beat the value! You could get a maximum of about 3 haircuts at a barber, or get at least a year's worth of haircuts for the same cost. And you don't even need to leave the house! And if their self-sharpening, high carbon steel clipper blades, which claim to stay sharp longer, last for a few years, you're laughing with extra money in the bank! 

The only thing I would change about this clipper set, is to improve the quality of the mirror itself by making the mirror bigger in size and improving the clarity of its reflection. It would also be nice to have a barber brush included. 

I say give this clipper set a try! If you are not happy with it or have any concerns with it at all, please contact Wahl Canada at 1-866-787-9245 or email fbrown@wahlcanada.com. Happy clipping! 

***** These views are mine, and mine alone. As with anything, you are responsible for assessing whether this item and/or activity is safe and suitable for your specific needs. InfoMommy does not make any warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, and assumes no responsibility and/or liability for any actions taken as a result of this blog post.*****

4 comments:

  1. i Would surely like to have one !! I have a 4 yr old kid and I feel it will be affordable and time saving for me to cut his hair just at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great fun bonding moment with the kids too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know there are more people are like to shave in home. So i like to suggest them to use Barber Kit products. I hope every men are be eager to know Balding Life and they want enjoy with update products.

    ReplyDelete